DETAILS for our July 29, 2017 Summer Session Beer Festival:
- WHO: Maine Brewers and Guest Breweries in support of the Maine Brewers’ Guild
- WHAT: The biggest and best brewfest in Maine will be back to Thompson’s Point for our annual celebration of Maine’s craft beer community and the ultimate summer afternoon on Maine’s waterfront.
- WHEN: Saturday, July 29th, 2017
- WHERE: Thompson’s Pt, Portland, ME
- WHY: To promote the Maine craft beer community, celebrate our incredible offering of Maine-brewed beer, and raise funds for the Guild. Plus, we know how to create the best festivals: From world-class beer from world-class breweries, to live music, plus plenty of space at the venue to spread out, a variety of delicious food from local food trucks, this will be the biggest and best brewfest in Maine. Summer Session is Maine’s premier craft beer event. Virtually every brewery in Maine along with their invited (out-of-state brewery) guests will be there. Have a question about the event? Drop us a line: email@example.com
BIG NEWS! We will also be hosting a Winter Session this year on Saturday November 4th 2017.
TICKETS: $49/ general admission, $60/ VIP (limited qty available), $55/ Day of Event (general admission only).
$85/Session Bundle, both Summer and Winter Session General Admission
$105/Session Bundle, Both Summer and Winter Session VIP Admission
All tickets include unlimited beer samples from all breweries, souvenir taster glass, access to beer school classes, live music. Food available for purchase from a variety of food trucks.
What makes our festival so awesome? We’re glad you asked…
- BEST BEER IN MAINE - Maine’s best brewers will be showcasing their wares from all across the state and we’ll have more Maine breweries pouring than any festival all year.
- GUEST BREWERIES - After last year’s success, we are sticking with the invitational format – our Maine brewers will invite their friends from out-of-state breweries so we will have beers on tap that you have never tried, from breweries who don’t normally sell their beer in Maine.
- LIVE MUSIC - Jam out to some of New England’s best fest music but keep it far enough away from the beer so you can still interact with the brewers and ask your questions.
- PLENTY OF SPACE to spread out – Thompson’s Point is acres and acres of waterfront land. No crowded gymnasiums here.
- LAWN CHAIRS WELCOME – we want you to get comfortable, so bring your lawn chairs, picnic blankets, cornhole set, and make a day of it!
- BEER SCHOOL CLASSES - Learn from Maine’s brewers in short, 10-15 minute ‘classes’ within the brewfest discussing all sorts of topics related to beer and brewing and giving you the chance to ask those burning questions and learn from the pros. No registration required. (list of classes is below)
- The ANNUAL ‘HOMEGROWN BEER’ COMPETITION - We’ll be inviting brewers will be brew a beer made with Maine grown grains and malted in Maine. All attendees will have the chance to try them all and vote on your favorite to see which brewery will take home the trophy! #DrinkLocal
- FOOD TRUCKS - They will be there and ready to serve you, from the beginning to the end – so bring an appetite!
- SUPPORTS YOUR LOCAL CRAFT BEER COMMUNITY - Proceeds from our brewfest benefit the Maine Brewers’ Guild in their work to promote and protect craft beer. (We’re the people who changed the laws so brewers could pour their own beer at these festivals!) This is our biggest event of the year and the primary fundraiser for our nonprofit. Drink beer in support of beer!
- TIME TO CATCH YOUR BREATH - Although we’ll have to stop serving beer at 5PM, you’ll be welcome to hang out till around 6PM, grab a bite to eat from one of the food trucks, and take in the beauty of an evening on the water in Portland surrounded by thousands of your closest friends.
- PUBLIC TRANSPORT - We’re working to figure out ways to get you to and from the festival safely. And if you’re coming from Boston, the bus or trains heading into Portland will drop you right to the festival site. (The event is right behind the Amtrak and Concord Coach station). We’ll also coordinate in-town Portland pick ups via public transport.
VIP tickets are extremely limited and include 1 hour early access to unlimited samples of specially brewed beers from over 40 breweries. In keeping with the name of our fest, we’ve asked breweries who are pouring at the VIP session to bring session beers. All VIP ticketholders will have early and first access to the brewfest general session. Full list of breweries pouring during the VIP session will be available soon.
HOMEGROWN BEER COMPETITION
Select breweries will brew beers with Maine grown barley, malted in Maine. They will be competing for your votes in the Homegrown Beer Competition. Every festival attendee will get the chance to cast a ballot for their favorite homegrown beer.
PARTICIPATING BREWERIES COMING SOON!
BEER SCHOOL OF MAINE MINI-CLASSES
Ever wanted to learn the secrets of beer from the pros? Join us at the festival for mini-Beer School of Maine classes taught by some of Maine’s most prominent brewers. Classes will last 10-20 minutes and are open to all attendees for no additional charge.
We’ll announce our 2017 classes soon!
Maine isn’t known as vacationland for nothing, we suggest you book your accommodations ASAP as rates will only go up and rooms fill up quickly for this summer weekend!
We have a room block at the Clarion Hotel in Portland, which is directly adjacent to the festival’s venue (Thompson’s Point). The rate is $219/night and requires a two-night minimum (Friday and Saturday night – night before and the night of the festival). To book this rate call the Clarion Hotel at 207-774-5611 and ask for the ’2017 Summer Session Beer Festival Maine Brewers’ Guild’ room block. Note – there is only a limited number of rooms and we cannot guarantee availability
We encourage you to take public transportation wherever possible. The venue DOES charge a fee for parking – $5/ car, so between that and the safety aspect, it’d be a win-win to hop on the bus, ride your bike, or grab a cab over! We’ve laid out some options below to get you started…
- Uber – via app
- Lyft – via app
- 207 Taxi – (207) 774-2255
- Green Cab – (207) 879-2424
Public Bus Routes:
- Available from Congress St./ East End/ St. John: see
Best Driving Route:
Fore St, Portland Maine to Thompson’s Point
- Head northeast on Fore St toward Dana St
- Turn right onto Dana St
- Turn right at the 2nd cross street onto Commercial ST
- Continue onto Fore River Pkwy
- Turn left onto Thompsons Point
- Continue straight around the back of the Amtrak and bus station out to the end of the peninsula.
If you’re coming from Boston:
- Take the Amtrak train! The train station is adjacent to the festival venue. You leave from North Station and arrive at the venue.
- Take the bus! Concord Coach Lines offers consistent and comfortable service between South Station and the Portland Transportation Ctr., which is next to the venue. There is a bus that leaves South Station at 10AM on August 1st, arrives in Portland at 11:55AM. There are buses departing Portland at 6PM and 7:30PM.
OR, follow these basic driving directions
- Merge onto I-93 N
- Take exit 37A to merge onto I-95 N toward Peabody
- Keep right at the fork to stay on I-95 N, follow signs for Portsmouth NH
- Keep right at the fork to continue on I-295 N, follow signs for S Portland/Downtown Portland
- Take exit 5 for ME-22 E
- Keep right, follow signs for Maine 22/Congress Street and merge onto Fore River Pkwy
- Merge onto Fore River Pkwy
- Turn left at lights onto Thompsons Point
- Stay straight and go across train tracks to the end of the peninsula.
Q: Will this event be held rain or shine?
A: This event is rain or shine, and all beer will be poured under a tent or under the pavilion. It’s possible that the Portland Police Department could close down the event or suspend the event temporarily if there is extreme inclement weather such as lightening, tornadoes, or hail.
Q:Can I bring my dog/ cat/ pet rabbit?
A: No, we are not able to allow pets into the event.
Can I bring my toddler/ baby in a stroller/ baby swaddled in a golden fleece diaper?
A: No, this is a strictly 21+ event, and we will not allow access to anyone under 21.
Q: I bought an extra ticket for my friend, but now they can’t come. Can I get a refund?
A: No, We do a lot to plan the amount of beer/ concessions/ port-a-johns/ budget for the event based on attendee numbers, so all ticket sales are final.
Q: I am going with a friend who has a Designated Driver ticket and I have a VIP pass. Will they be able to use their DD ticket to enter at the same time as me?
A: Yes. DD ticketholders, which are not allowed to consume any alcohol, can enter during the VIP session.
Q: Will brewers be selling their beer at this event? Can I get my growler filled?
A: No, brewers will not be selling their beer at this event, and growlers may not be filled at the event.
Q: I am a homebrewer. Can I pour my beer at this event?
A: No, only federally licensed breweries are able to pour their beer at this event.